JOB DESCRIPTIONType: Part Time OR Full time, Exempt Employee
Area of expertise: Planning, Design, and Construction Supervision of Water/ Wastewater/ Recycled water/ Stormwater Pipeline system AND/OR Water/ Wastewater/ Recycled water Treatment facilities
Location: San Diego
POSITION SUMMARY:The Project Manager’s primary responsibility is the production of high quality engineering on projects, in accordance with high quality engineering practice and company policies. Additionally, PMs will:
- Deliver our work product to our Client’s satisfaction.
- Work closely with PROTEUS CEO in delivering projects that meet budget, scope, schedule, and quality goals.
- Monitor the progress of all assigned projects through regular reviews of budget, scope, schedule, and financial performance and provide needed course corrections whenever needed.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:Responsibilities identified herein define the minimum expectations for the position of Project Manager.
- Support the budgeting/forecasting process in support of project goals by supplying accurate and timely data for projects and prospects.
- Work diligently in conjunction with the CEO to resolve any project issues and disputes efficiently and fairly.
- Support the PROTEUS’ Performance Culture by setting project specific goals for project team members, providing regular feedback, and providing annual feedback.
- Take an active role in retaining and recruiting top talent that can support the company’s growth needs and initiatives.
- Prepare project work plan, schedule and budget with CEO.
- At the beginning of the project, develop the Project Management Plan with the CEO.
- Draft subcontracts and negotiate them with subconsultants.
- Produce project deliverables to meet contractual scope of work.
- See that established PROTEUS design policies, procedures, guidelines, and standards are followed.
- Direct the preparation of detailed drawings and specifications in accordance with established project work flow, including arranging regularly scheduled project team meetings and design conferences to coordinate efforts of team members (including subconsultants) and maintain schedules.
- Ensure periodic scheduled review of drawings and specifications by designated quality review groups and the Client. Attend Client review meetings.
- Manage contract scope internally to prevent scope creep and meet Client budget expectations.
- Working with the CEO, establish and maintain a project trend register to capture and quantify potential impacts to project budget, schedule and construction cost.
- Keep the CEO fully advised as to progress of the work and any developments involving change in the scope of the contract work or otherwise which could affect the contract requirements and fee and/or Client relationships.
- Review the Client’s comments and success parameters and verify that the Client’s concerns are addressed. Check for impact on schedules, budget, and construction cost, and advise the CEO of any needed changes.
- Monitor quality and progress of subcontractor’s work.
- Monitor project budgets to ensure that work progress and budget expenditure are progressing in parallel. Report project budget status on monthly basis.
- Arrange for and review periodic opinions of construction cost and final opinion of construction cost. Monitor work for scope creep.
- Report on a monthly basis, or as otherwise agreed, to CEO on status of engineering and construction budget and engineering schedule of project.
- Arrange for all contract drawings to be sealed by the appropriate discipline personnel.
- Arrange for preparation of final opinion of construction cost and submit it to the CEO for her review, signature, and submittal to the Client.
- Direct the bid phase services including distribution of bid documents, responding to bidders’ questions, attending pre-bid meeting, preparing and distributing addenda and conformed copies of contracts.
- Attend bid opening as requested, review the bids received, prepare written recommendation as to lowest responsive, responsible bidder and submit it to the Project Manager.
- Periodically review construction schedule and engineering budget to ensure that they are being followed. Report to the CEO monthly, or as otherwise agreed to, on status.
- Report any change in scope and the need for contract revisions to the CEO.
- Review proposed change orders and make recommendations to the CEO on their approval for submittal to client, or rejection.
- Review progress payment estimates after review by the resident project representative and recommend approval by the CEO and submittal to the Client.
- Direct contractor’s submittals review process and review submittals as appropriate.
- Consult with and advise the Resident Project Representative regarding any questions raised in connection with the work.
- Monitor construction progress, attend construction progress meetings, and make periodic trips to project site.
- Attend final inspection of project work.
- Assist the CEO in the review and approval of the final payment application.
- Oversee completion of “Conformed to Construction Records” drawings and advise the CEO when they can be submitted to the Client.
- Maintain liaison with the Resident Project Representative regarding constructability, design, and operations and communicate lessons learned to the CEO and project.
- Support the CEO in maintaining contact with the Client to monitor experience with project, Client’s satisfaction, and suggestions.
- Maintain project records and files, including calculation files.
- Direct records retention and storage.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTAny combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Five (5) to Ten (10) years of professional engineering experience in water utility design and construction management, three (3) years of which are in progressively responsible supervisory and administrative capacity.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with major study in Civil Engineering or equivalent.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTPossession of a Certificate of Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer (or equivalent) in the State of California.
LICENSE REQUIREMENTPossess and maintain a valid California Class “C” driver’s license and maintain an acceptable safe active driving record, together with proof of insurability. Failure to maintain a valid California Driver's License constitutes a possible cause for termination.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDSThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Tasks will require the following: mobility to stand, stoop and bend; mobility of arms to reach and dexterity of hands to grasp and manipulate small objects and to write legibly; sit or stand for prolonged periods of time; visual ability (which may be corrected) to read small print; ability to speak in a normal voice able to be heard and understood on the telephone and to communicate clearly and concisely; hear normal conversation in person and on the telephone; ability to maneuver in small areas; work in noisy environments; wear protective apparel including face protectors, respirators, and goggles; climb ladders and stairs on water storage tanks and facilities and work on top of these structures.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret complex data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; observe and interpret people and situations; use math and mathematical reasoning; learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks with constant interruptions; work under intensive deadlines and interact with the CEO, other managers and sub consultants, government officials, regulators, employees, and the public.
WORK ENVIRONMENTThe employee works under typical office conditions as well as construction or work sites in the course of inspecting and monitoring work or supervising work crews. The noise level in the office environment is usually quiet; work sites may be dirty, loud, and odorous.
Flex Schedule (9/80) 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Monday through Thursday and 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM on Friday; or as assigned by CEO.
It is important that incumbents in this position maintain a professional and business like image to the public at all times. A neat, clean and pressed appearance in clothing, hair and personal hygiene is important every day. Good judgment is expected in determining proper dress and appearance. Facial hair must be kept neat and trimmed.
RIGHT TO WORK REQUIREMENTMust be a United States citizen or possess qualified alien status. Documentation of eligibility to work in U.S. will be required as a condition of employment.
Proteus Consulting does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of age, race, color, sex, ancestry, national origin, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion, military status, medical condition, mental disability, or physical disability.
The list of essential job duties contained in this job description is not exhaustive, and may be supplemented as necessary. This position performs other related duties as assigned, some of which may become essential to the position.
Any offer of employment for this position is contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a background investigation.