JOB TYPE - Part-time, contract basisJOB LOCATION - San Diego, CA. Professional should be located within San Diego county and ready to commute to PROTEUS HQ for meetings when needed.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, or a related field from an accredited college or university. A Master’s Degree is desired but not required.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT Five years of increasingly responsible professional experience and understanding of City/Water Agency organizations. Experience in the design and construction of water/wastewater. Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English.
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) required.
- Professional Engineer (PE) License in California will be a bonus.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License. Failure to maintain a valid California Driver's License constitutes a possible cause for termination.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
The Contract Engineer shall work as part of a larger project team, under the direction of the CEO. Projects shall be awarded to the engineer on a project by project basis on an agreed upon scope and fee/ hourly rate. He/she is to provide the following essential duties:
- Perform data analysis in support of project tasks.
- Participate in the preparation and completion of comprehensive technical reports and presentations.
- Writing reports and technical memoranda. Tasks will involve all aspects of master planning, feasibility analysis, and design development of distribution/collection systems as well as treatment facilities. Process design experience will be appreciated.
- Design and preparation of bidding documents related to water, wastewater and recycled water projects allotted.
- Other tasks will include regulatory permitting, funding applications, cost estimating, and scheduling for water and sewer projects.
- Proficiency in bid-phase and construction-phase engineering reviews is expected.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENT
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, and comprehensive correspondence, reports, studies and other written materials; make effective oral presentations; and exercise sound, expert, independent judgment within general policy guidelines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- 5+ years’ experience in the field of water/wastewater systems design
- High proficiency in performing engineering planning, design and calculations supporting pipelines, pump stations, reservoirs, hydraulic structures and treatment facilities (both water and wastewater)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to conduct effective presentations and prepare written reports and documents.
- Knowledge of operations, services, and activities in the public administration / water sector. Knowledge of principles and practices of public administration.
- Ability to analyze and make sound recommendations on complex technical issues; understand, interpret, explain and apply federal, state, and local policy, law, regulations.
- Strong working knowledge of California water sector.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
PHYSICAL DEMANDS While performing the duties of this position, a professional is regularly required to sit, stand and walk; talk or hear, in person, in meetings and by telephone; use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate standard office equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
MENTAL DEMANDS While performing the duties of this position, the professional is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret complex data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; observe and interpret people and situations; use math and mathematical reasoning; learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks with constant interruptions; work under intensive deadlines and interact with other managers, government officials, employees, and other team members.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The professional works under typical office conditions. The noise level in the office environment is usually quiet.
RIGHT TO WORK REQUIREMENT Must be a United States citizen or possess qualified alien status. Documentation of eligibility to work in U.S. will be required as a condition of employment.
Proteus Consulting does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of age, race, color, sex, ancestry, national origin, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion, military status, medical condition, mental disability, or physical disability.
The list of essential job duties contained in this job description is not exhaustive, and may be supplemented as necessary. This position performs other related duties as assigned, some of which may become essential to the position.
Any offer of employment for this position is contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a background investigation.